Sunday, January 6, 2008

Rat Patrol



Checking the Iraqi Army perimeter when they had the watch towers. This was our MiTT UAZ a Russian Jeep of sorts that I made up into a Rat Patrol like vehicle, when you left the Regimental side of the FOB to the KMTB side you could go Boonie hat and carry an AK47 for photo op, or shoot on the big ranges, I had a card to draw one from the Iraqi Army range control office, I continually "bribed" (for lack of a better word) the Major that ran it (Iraqi major) as is the custom in Iraq and alot of other places. Just gave him junk/gifts I found all over the FOB, I also gave away my leathermans/case knives when I needed to assure big favors for the future, like fixing my UAZ when it broke. Always took ice with me to give away and made sure the mechanics had coolers to put it in, our IA guard towers when our Iraiq soldiers occupied them, went on patrol, etc.

It is amazing what you can find in a dumpster on a big FOB. I was surprised I never found a corpse, that was about the only thing though.